Correction Anglais LV1 - Bac L 2015 Pondichéry

Correction Anglais LV1 - Bac L 2015 Pondichéry

Téléchargez gratuitement le corrigé du bac L 2015 d'anglais LV1 de Pondichéry. Ce document a été écrit par un professeur d'anglais. Il est parfait pour vous entrainer en vue du bac L d'anglais.
➜ Voir le sujet d'Anglais LV1

Notre professeur d'anglais a tout d'abord corrigé les questions de compréhension de l'écrit. Vous trouverez les réponses attendues aux 11 questions. Puis, notre professeur a rédigé les deux expressions écrites "Leaving home can be scary but it’s a necessary step towards growing up." et "Gaia writes to her father about living in Pagford. Imagine the letter / email.".

Téléchargez gratuitement le corrigé du sujet d'anglais LV1 du bac L 2015 de Pondichéry.

Correction Anglais LV1 - Bac L 2015 Pondichéry

Le contenu du document

COMPRÉHENSION

DOCUMENT A

I. How does Gaia feel about moving from London to Pagford? Quote 2 elements from the first paragraph to support your answer.

 Gaia feels terrible about moving from London to Pagford. She is very  disappointed, as we can see l1-2 ''The move to Pagford had been the worst thing that had ever happened to Gaia Bawden'' (l1-2) In the following sentence, she even compares moving to Pagford to a couple of previous domestic disasters ''She had thought it one of Kay's mad ideas, like the two chickens she had bought for their tiny back garden in Hackney (killed by a fox a week after purchase), or deciding to ruin half their saucepans and permanently scar her own hand by making marmalade, when she hardly ever cooked'' (l5-9)

II. Quoting from the text, what elements does she associate with London (3 elements) and Pagford (5 elements)?

Gaia associates London with ''friends'' (l10), home (''house'' l10) and ''fun weekends'' (l11-12), and Pagford with ''cobbled streets'' (l13), ''no shops open after 6'' (l14), ''communal life'' (l14), ''church'' (l15) and ''nature'' (l15)

III. To what extent does this move change her relationship with Kay, her mother?

Since their move from London, the relationship between Gaia and her mother has evolved from a close one, where they "had clung tightly to each other" (l17) into a cold and hostile relationship. When Gaia looks at her mother she "[sees] nothing but an enemy" (l20)

IV. How does Gaia intend to punish her mother for moving to Pagford? Find 2 elements in the text.

Gaia is not sure how to punish her mother yet but she plans to either "fail all her GCSEs" (l23) or "pass them, and try and get her father to agree to house her (...) in London" (l24-25)

V. “In the meantime, she had to exist in alien territory, where her looks and her accent, once instant passports to the most select social circles, had become foreign currency.” (l. 25 – 27)

Identify and explain the two metaphors linked to the “alien territory”. (30 words)

In this sentence Gaia uses two metaphors related to travelling: "instant passports" (l26) and "foreign currency" (l27). What she means is that her looks and speech used to be positive distinctive traits which made her cool and popular in the cosmopolitan capital and gave her access to ''select social circles'' (l27). In Pagford the same elements are still distinctive and remarkable but in such a traditional environment, people don't know what to make of Gaia's appearance and speech, which is why they are like foreign currency, of no value unless converted into local currency.

DOCUMENT B

VI. List the characters and say how you think they are connected.

Several characters are mentioned in this document: Isabel the narrator, Mum her mother, Dan who seems to be her mother's boyfriend and ''he twins'', Isabel's younger siblings.

VII. What do you learn about Dan’s professional situation? Support your answer with two elements from the text.

From the text, we learn that Dan is a soldier, currently away on a mission (l35), who might get promoted in the near future (l16).

VIII. “It’s too much. It’s too much for you. It isn’t fair.” (l. 11)

1. What “isn’t fair”?

Having to change school so often, "five schools by year six" l10, is unfair.

2. Why does her mother insist on sending Isabel to boarding school?

She insists on sending her daughter to boarding school so that, no matter whether the family moves houses again in the near future or not, at least Isabel will not have to change schools again.

IX. 1. Explain Isabel’s mixed feelings about her mother’s decision.

She has mixed feelings (Isabel didn't know l14) On the one hand she wants more stability (l15 wanted to feel steadier") and she understands that her mother means well, but on the other she is jealous  of her younger siblings who get to live at home and attend the local school.

2. What does it reveal about her vision of stability as compared to her mother’s?

for her mother, stability means staying at the same school, but for Isabel it means staying with her family.

DOCUMENT A AND B

X. Compare and contrast Gaia’s and Isabel’s situations.

Gaia and Isabel were both forced to move to a new place - Pagford for Gaia, boarding school for Isabel - against their wishes. However, while Gaia has moved houses once, and with her mother, Isabel has changed houses and schools regularly in the last years and in she is no longer living with her family.

LVA UNIQUEMENT

XI. Show that Gaia and Isabel have a different conception of “home”. (50 words)

Although Gaia and Isabel both appear to be missing home, they define it differently. For Gaia, home means London, more particularly the excitement of the city and its multicultural atmosphere. For Isabel however, home and family are the same thing. She is concerned about a particular geographic location, she only wishes to be with her mother and siblings.

EXPRESSION

LVO UNIQUEMENT

Sujet 1

Leaving home can be scary but it’s a necessary step towards growing up. (300 words)

Studies show that young adults in Europe are leaving home much later than they used to. Most people argue that it is due to the global financial crisis which makes it harder for them to afford living on their own while they are still studying. But is it the only reason? Or are they also afraid to leave the safety of their family home and learn to live on their own? In fact, leaving home, whether temporarily or permanently, can be a scary experience, but it is also a necessary one in order to grow up.

Leaving home for a long period of time is always scary. It means leaving behind the comfort and safety of what we know and what we are used to and taking a step towards the unknown. While people know how to behave in a familiar environment and with their old friends, everything is new when they leave home. They must get used to new places, learn how to make new friends, perhaps even how to speak a new language. Different places also have different customs and adapting to a different world while away from your family and friends can be very hard and scary.

But on the other hand, it is also a very rewarding process. Precisely because you are alone, you have to meet new people and make new friends. Having to cope all by yourself also forces you to grow up, take more responsibilities and probably discover that you are more capable than you thought you were. Not only does it increase your self-confidence, it also makes you more open-minded and tolerant. People who never leave the comfort and safety of home, never have to adapt and usually do not have the same attitude and maturity of those who have gone through the separation process.

Sujet 2

Gaia writes to her father about living in Pagford. Imagine the letter / email. (300 words)

From : gaialoveslondon@hotmail.co.uk

To : gaiasdad@orange.com

Subject : Please please pleaaaaase get me out of here

Hey Dad,

How are you ? I am physically fine. That is the best I can say about my life in this dreadful, tiny, depressing little village. Seriously Dad, this place is so small that you can walk from one end to the other in less than an hour.  I'm not joking. I wish I were.

Everything here is about nature. And not nice nature, like you see on TV. Nature in Pagford means mostly mud and spiders. Oh, and sheep. I honestly believe that there are more sheep than inhabitants in Pagford, which gives you a good idea of how dull the place is. And after 6 o'clock in the evening, it gets worse. Because after that, the town is a desert. All shops are closed and the streets are literally empty.

Kay says that I shouldn't be so negative and narrow-minded, but I don't care. I hate Kay at the moment!  She's happy here, so everything is fine, isn't it? Well, I'm not happy here! Everyone looks at me as if I were an alien. They stare at me as I walk down the main street. It's embarrassing and so rude… I've tried looking them in the eye to make them feel ashamed of themselves, but they don't even care. I just wish Samantha or Jade were here with me…  I'd feel less lonely.

Please, please, can you call Kay and ask her if I can come and live with you? I've tried, but she won't listen to me. She says I'm being childish. All you have to do is pick up the phone… You'd be saving my life. I wouldn't be any trouble, I promise. I just want to get back to civilization.

I hope you're fine AND I hope to see you very SOON.

Love,

Gaia.

LVA UNIQUEMENT

Sujet 3

“But the twins —”Isabel began (line 20)

Starting with this line, rewrite the end of the text focusing on Isabel’s thoughts and feelings. (300 words)

“But the twins —” Isabel began.

She knew that if only she could find the right words, she could make her mum understand how unfair and difficult this whole situation was for her. The twins also needed stability, she wanted to say.  And yet, because they were younger, they got to stay with Mum, to be part of the family for a little while longer while she, Isabel, was sent away to boarding school because she had apparently reached the age when stability meant teachers and grades and no longer family and love.

She felt like screaming at the unfairness of it all – Dan's job, the twins, boarding school, everything - but what she saw in her mother's eyes as she started awkwardly explaining the situation to her stopped her cold. Her mother knew. She knew the situation was unfair, and difficult for Isabel, but she didn't have a better solution. She was doing her best, even if it meant taking a difficult decision. Like suggesting to her own daughter to move away to boarding school, knowing that Isabel would resent her for suggesting it, and doing it anyway.

And as she realized that, something strange happened to Isabel. She felt her anger melt away. She wasn't happy to go to boarding school, and she wasn't less jealous of the twins, even though she could never say it out loud. But she realized that underneath it all, she was mostly scared. Not of boarding school, but of growing up. Of now being old enough to have to make difficult decisions for the good of the family. Of leaving childhood behind and taking her first small steps towards the world of adults. It was both scary and exciting.

But she had time to think about all of this later. Today Dan was coming home and they could be a happy family, better not spoil the fun with too much maturity.

Sujet 4

“Growing up is never easy. You hold on to things that were. You wonder about what’s to come.” (N. Marlens, The Wonder Years). Discuss this statement. (300 words)

In the Wonder Years, author N. Marlens wrote ''Growing up is never easy. You hold on to things that were. You wonder about what's to come.'' And it is true that the teenage years are a turning point for most people. Torn between the world of children, ''things that were'', and the promise of adulthood, ''what's about to come'', it is usually an uneasy time for teenagers and their families. Why ? What makes this period so special ?

First, growing up means changing identities. Part of the ''things that were'' to which young people hold onto is who they were as a child. After all, children never realize it fully, but their life is fairly easy and self-centred. They can afford to think of no one but themselves and what they would like to do. Children don't need to worry about earning a living, finding a job, tidying up their home or going shopping. Of course, they participate in daily family life, but they are not in charge of it. The decisions are not theirs to make and therefore they carry no responsibility.

Growing up is the slow realization and acceptance that things which are ''about to come'' will be different. That being an adult is different from being a child. Not only because society expects you to be different but also because people around you stop treating you like a child. They start expecting you to make your own decisions and live with the consequences of these decisions. You have to rely more and more on yourself and as a result, you need to start planning ahead, instead of simply being in the moment.

As we see, growing up means changing the focus of your life, which is why it is never easy. And in fact, it takes a lot of courage to abandon the safety of ''things that were'' and reach out towards ''what's about to come.''

Fin de l'extrait

Vous devez être connecté pour pouvoir lire la suite

Télécharger ce document gratuitement

Donne ton avis !

Rédige ton avis

Votre commentaire est en attente de validation. Il s'affichera dès qu'un membre de Bac L le validera.
Attention, les commentaires doivent avoir un minimum de 50 caractères !
Vous devez donner une note pour valider votre avis.

Nos infos récentes du Bac L

Communauté au top !

Vous devez être membre de digiSchool bac L

Pas encore inscrit ?

Ou identifiez-vous :

Mot de passe oublié ?